If you love comforting banana bread and spiced carrot cake then you will absolutely love, love, love this delicious hybrid between the two; so much that it could even become a firm favourite in your household.😀.
I actually set out to bake a banana loaf and ended up filling it with a bunch of vegetables, spices, grains and seeds. Oh yes I did😊😊. So what is in this bread? Of course there had to be the the extremely nutritious apple bananas(menvu) whixh are rich in potassium, riboflavin, niacin, dietary fibre, vitamin A and C, calcium and iron. Grated carrots, desiccated coconut, rolled oats which are high in soluble fibre and contain vitamin E, some B vitamins as well as iron and calcium. Cinnamon, ginger, a pinch of nutmeg, chia and flax seeds. The result was this lovely spiced, moist, luscious, bread packed with amazing flavors and nutrients.
Every time I have eaten a dry bread or cake in the past, am so unhappy😔. I cannot fathom why one would create something so dry. So, to deal with that issue, the bananas, carrots and milk add heaps of moisture to the bread. The chia and flax seeds add a lovely crunch in each bite and the coconut adds an extra layer of flavour. The spices are so subtle that the banana and carrot flavour still shines through.
This bread is perfect for breakfast or brunch. Also, because it’s sweetness is not over powering, it makes a wonderful snack. I used sugar and the bananas to sweeten the loaf; you may substitute the sugar for honey or maple syrup. The loaf can also be transformed into a delightful dessert by icing it with tangy cream cheese frosting.
This morning I happily devoured
three fat slices a slice and washed it down with a lovely cup of coffee. So awesome😄. This, surely is a wonderful day that the Lord has made, let’s be deliberate about rejoicingand being glad in it.
MOIST BANANA CARROT BREAD RECIPE
Makes 10-12 slices Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 11/2 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Rolled oats
- 1/2 cup Desiccated coconut
- 1/8 cup Chia seeds
- 1/8 cup Flax seeds
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 3/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 cups Apple bananas, mashed
- 1 cup Carrots, grated
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Sunflower oil
- 2 Eggs
- Heat your oven to 180°C and grease a 9×5 pan or line with parchment.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, stir to combine, make a well in the centre and set aside.
- Place all the wet ingredients in another mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well at the centre of the dry ones and gently fold in to combine using a wooden spoon. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes to an hour .
- Remove the bread from the oven when a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave it to cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.