I was going through my photo archives and found pictures of a hit from my corporate catering days. Everybody loved these sesame chicken balls which are easy to make, gluten free and pack an interesting flavor with a strong prominence of sesame.
The best way to enjoy these balls is with your choice of sauce, preferably a sweet and sour one like a hot mango sauce made by heating up a mixture of mango chutney, mild sweet chili sauce, granted ginger root and chopped fresh coriander. You could also combine mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and honey for another yummy sauce.
These sesame chicken balls make a lovely snack and a perfect party appetizer. They can be made a day ahead, covered and stored in the refrigerator. Heat them in the oven the next day. The other amazing thing is that the uncooked balls freeze really well so you can make large numbers when you have time. Just be sure to flash freeze the balls before transferring them into freezer bags so they don’t stick together.
Ah! Looking at these pictures brought back so many fond memories😀. I am so gonna be making these again as soon as I can.
SESAME CHICKEN BALLS RECIPE
Makes: 40 balls | Preparation time including resting time: 1 hour 15 minutes | Cooking time: 20 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- 750g Chicken mince
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 2 large Onions, diced finely
- 4 tbsp Spring onions, the green parts, chopped
- 2/3 cups Sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- Salt and pepper
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil in a large bowl and mix until smooth.
- Roll table spoons of the mixture into balls, place on a tray, cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Deep fry the chicken balls in hot oil until brown and cooked through and serve immediately with your choice of sauce.